June 30, 2021
July 1, 2021
Show all


Long Haul and Short Haul Truck Drivers move almost anything, anywhere, anytime.

Published by Hillfield Immigration on 30th June, 2021

Transport truck drivers operate heavy trucks to transport goods and materials over urban, interurban, provincial and international routes. They are employed by transportation, manufacturing, distribution and moving companies, and trucking employment service agencies, or they may be self-employed.

This group includes drivers of special purpose trucks and shunters who move trailers to and from loading docks within trucking yards or lots. Progression to supervisory positions or to non-driving occupations, such as driver trainer, safety officer or truck dispatcher is possible with additional training or experience.

Other truck drivers include bulk goods truck, dump truck, flatbed truck, logging truck, long haul truck, moving van, shunt truck, tow truck and tractor-trailer. It does not include drivers of light trucks (Delivery and courier service drivers), snowplough and garbage truck drivers among others.

Long-haul transport truck drivers operate and drive primarily tractor-trailer, long-combination vehicle and straight-body trucks weighing over 4500 kg to transport goods and materials over long distances. We can help with your application in this specialized category.

They plan trip logistics and obtain required documentation to transport goods, perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection of vehicle systems, equipment and accessories such as tires, lights and turning signals, brakes and cold storage. Obtain special permits and other documents required to transport cargo on international routes. May transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.

Short-haul and local transport truck drivers operate and drive primarily straight trucks to transport goods and materials mainly on local routes and short inter-urban routes. Perform pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspection and oversee all aspects of vehicle such as condition of equipment, and loading and unloading of cargo. May drive special purpose trucks such as tow trucks, dump trucks, hydrovac trucks or cement mixing trucks.

While On-the-job-training is provided, completion of secondary school is usually required. Completion of an accredited driver training course of up to three months duration, through a vocational school or community college, may be required. Our legal expert can offer advice on qualifications for this profession.
Requirements to qualify as a driver in the trucking industry:
• A Class 3 or D license is required to drive straight-body trucks.
• A Class 1 or A license is required to drive long combination vehicles.
• Air brake endorsement (Z) is required for drivers who operate vehicles equipped with air brakes.
• Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) certification is required for drivers who transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
• Additional licensing endorsement or certification may be required to drive articulated trucks.
Contact our qualified specialist at Hillfield Immigration for instructions on how to apply for any of these occupations in the trucking industry in Canada.

Muhammad Qazi
Muhammad Qazi
I, Muhammad Qazi, Notary Public in Ontario. I am fluent in English, Urdu Punjabi, Hindi. We serve from two locations suit 508-55 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, and Unit 303-800 Main street (Gulliver plaza) Stoney Creek. There is very convenient free parking in front of our both locations. I have in depth knowledge that provides my clients with the foresight to make business, property, and personal decisions with ease. As a trusted professional, I provide the attention to detail and personal attention that clients need to look to for making important life decisions.

Comments are closed.

We will help to find the perfect place for you!