June 30, 2021
July 1, 2021
Show all


Food and beverage servers take and serve patrons’ food and beverage orders

Published by Hillfield Immigration on 1st July, 2021

Food and beverage servers are employed in restaurants, hotels, bars, taverns, private clubs, banquet halls and similar establishments. They include – banquet server, captain waiter/waitress, chief wine steward, formal service or cocktail waiter/waitress, food and beverage server and wine steward.

Servers greet patrons, present menus, make recommendations and answer questions regarding food and beverages, take orders and relay to kitchen and bar staff, recommend wines that complement patrons’ meals. Prepare and serve specialty foods at patrons’ tables. Present bills to patrons and accept payments. May order and maintain inventory of wines and wine glassware.

While On-the-job training is usually provided, completion of secondary school may be required. Apprenticeship training programs for food and beverage servers are available in Saskatchewan and British Columbia. Trade certification is available but voluntary in those provinces. Formal waiters/waitresses may require completion of a one or two-year apprenticeship program or college or vocational school courses.

Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for employees serving alcoholic beverages. Wine stewards may require courses in wine selection and service or experience as a captain or formal waiter/waitress.

If you are not currently working in Canada, you can apply to the Hospitality Sector category as a Food/Beverage Server once you have proof that you previously worked in Canada for a minimum of six months as a Food/Beverage Server. Contact our experienced consultant to see if you qualify for this job.

If you are a foreign worker currently employed in Canada on a temporary work permit and want to apply for permanent residency, let our qualified professional assist with your application. You should have been working with a hospitality-approved employer for a minimum of six months.

You must have a valid work permit issued by IRCC through LMIA for Food/Beverage Server. Have proof that you worked in Canada before for a minimum of six months as a Food/Beverage Server. Completion of at least Grade 12 (or equivalent),

Have a job offer of permanent, full-time work from an approved Hospitality employer. Have at least Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) 4 or higher English ability in all four categories (listening, speaking, reading and writing).

Other qualifications may include basic skills in digital technology and math involving money matters. Oral communication and team work with other staff members. There is room for promotion and improvement through various government programs in this field.

If you are a temporary foreign worker and have a valid Job Approval Letter, your employer needs to send a completed Hospitality Sector Recruitment and Settlement Plan. Once this plan is approved and you have completed the requirements, you can apply. Our legal professional can assist with your residency application.

Muhammad Qazi
Muhammad Qazi
I, Muhammad Qazi, Notary Public in Ontario. I am fluent in English, Urdu Punjabi, Hindi. We serve from two locations suit 508-55 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, and Unit 303-800 Main street (Gulliver plaza) Stoney Creek. There is very convenient free parking in front of our both locations. I have in depth knowledge that provides my clients with the foresight to make business, property, and personal decisions with ease. As a trusted professional, I provide the attention to detail and personal attention that clients need to look to for making important life decisions.

Comments are closed.

We will help to find the perfect place for you!