STUDY & WORK IN ONTARIO AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
International students are allowed to work in Canada with the appropriate authorizations.
Published by Hillfield Immigration Services on October 4th, 2021.
Once you’ve received a letter of acceptance from an Ontario college, you will have to apply for a study permit using the IRCC application form IMM1294. You can apply for a study permit online, or you may acquire a paper application from your nearest visa application centre. Consult our certified expert to submit a completed application and necessary documents to improve your chances of a successful submission.
To apply you must provide the following paperwork:
• valid passport – in most cases
• letter of acceptance from the college you will attending affirming the program of study, containing start and end dates
• proof you have adequate funds to sustain yourself and any dependents who may be accompanying you during your entire stay in Canada; exact amounts may differ according to the type of study permit application
• if you are being sponsored – a letter from your sponsor
• depending on your home country you may be required to provide a medical exam or police certificate or both
If you are applying for a study permit through the Student Direct Stream, you may need to provide additional documents. Our qualified immigration specialist will follow all the guidelines to make sure your application meet the requirements. The processing times for study permit applications are available on the IRCC website. There is a fee attached to a study permit application to IRCC.
Let our professional consultant make your transition to Canada a smooth one by submitting the appropriate immigration forms and documents before your intended departure. Upon your arrival in Canada you will be asked to produce the following documents by the Canadian Immigration officials:
• study permit (Form IMM1294)
• passport (depending on your home country)
• visitor visa, if required
• all relevant documents used to acquire your student authorization (study permit)
You should not anticipate funding any part of your studies in Canada through money attained from part-time employment while attending college. International students are allowed to work in Canada under the following circumstances. If you are employed:
• as part of a course of study, such as a work term during the year, as in cooperative programs
• off-campus (you will be required to apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit)
• after graduation in a study-related job for up to two years
You can contact Hillfield Immigration Services for full details about the additional limitations to these conditions. If your spouse is coming to Canada with you, she or he may also be allowed to apply for an employment authorization. Working in Canada without proper employment authorization is a violation of the Immigration Act and may result in you being deported.